(Notice – this may be a little too graphic for some of my readers, so be forewarned.)

I was sick for daughter Rachel’s high school graduation reception Sunday. I’m not sure if it was food poisoning or a flu bug/virus, but I started feeling it Saturday afternoon, queasiness followed by nausea and diarrhea. I was up in the bathroom three times Saturday night, and woke up feeling terrible Sunday morning. I said to myself, “I can’t be sick for Rachel’s party”, but it didn’t make any difference, I was sick anyway.

I was miserable all day Sunday, mostly nauseated with occasional forays into the nearby bathroom. I spent much of the reception sitting over in a corner of the room, wishing I wasn’t there but knowing I had to be, and hoping that if what I had was contagious, I wouldn’t give it to anybody.

And we were so happy to see some of those anybodies! It was wonderful to see cousins and aunts, and nephews and nieces, some of whom I never see more than once a year at the most, as well as our daughter’s friends and teachers. My wife and daughters had to explain to each person when they came in why I wasn’t there greeting them and making small talk. I was sorry, I really wanted to do that, but I did not feel well at all, and I really didn’t want to give it to anybody. Yet I had to be there.

Hauling stuff out to the car after the reception nearly did me in. I was exhausted and when we got home. It was hot and I was burning up, so I flipped on the air conditioning. That felt good for a short while, but then I started getting chills. My wife put a blanket over me, and then I was burning up! I couldn’t seem to regulate my body temp. So I went to bed, hoping to sleep it off. I was boiling in there, too, but drifted off to sleep. I awoke two or three hours later, realized I was comfortably cool, and went back to sleep. Then I slept in the wonderful coolness the rest of the night.

Yesterday (Monday) I awoke at the usual time to get ready for work, but realized quickly that while I was definitely feeling better and was well past the worst of the sickness, it wasn’t gone long enough yet to go to work. So I stayed home, relaxing and recovering all day. I hadn’t eaten a bite of food since Saturday evening, so I had a bagel with a little peanut butter for breakfast, along with a bottle of tea. That sat well with me, but I didn’t eat again until evening. By then I was feeling pretty good, and I dared to finally eat a couple left-over pulled-pork sandwiches from Rachel’s reception.

My bowels are still fairly loose, but I don’t have to go every half hour, or every couple hours, like I did at its worst. I’m feeling well today, and am back at work. I had breakfast and drank several cups of good coffee this morning, and none of it has caused me problems, so I think I’m doing pretty well. My biggest physical problem today is a nagging nasty pain in my left hip, which obviously had nothing to do with my sickness!

Anyway, it appears that I’m back with the living again. And I hope that’s an experience I never have to live through again.