It appears things have slowed down a little bit here at work. We’re not frantically rushing out and slapping in windshields all over the countryside. I still have three jobs to do this afternoon, but that shouldn’t be too bad.

So in a sense, I feel almost like I’m resting. I drove down southwest this morning, 55 miles to a small town and did a windshield on a Ford pickup down there. That wasn’t too bad, but I’m not used to that much driving any more, and I was really tired by the time I got back here. So I wasn’t too disappointed to discover a deep scratch in front of the driver on our next windshield, so we have to re-order it and do it another time.

My lower back and hip, and my left leg are still slowly improving. I am able to walk at nearly a normal pace now, with little instability in that leg. The pain I had recently been feeling all the way down into my left foot from that pinched nerve is now mostly gone; nearly all my freedom of movement has returned, and outside of my age, I seem to be nearly back to normal. It’s hard to believe I’ve been able to recover this much in spite of, or perhaps because of, all the work we’ve been doing.

I’m still not absolutely sure everything is back in place in my lower back and hip. But with my chiropractor gone all last week (fishing or hunting) I decided to see how much I could heal up before going back to see him. I wasn’t at all sure about it most of last week. I’d work with pain through much of each day, but by the end of the day I was usually feeling pretty good. Then I’d go home and shower and eat supper, sit in my recliner for a while and the pain would return. And by the next morning I was dealing with some pretty nasty pain once again.

But these last couple days I’ve seen some real improvement. I’m a little stiff and sore in the morning for a short while, but by the time I’m dressed and out the door I feel pretty good. I go to the mall and walk a mile, then go to the shop and start working and I’m clearly back near normal. I’m feeling better during the day, and I’m sleeping better at night, and awakening in the morning with less pain and stiffness.

I had been concerned for a few weeks that what I had was actually a ruptured disc in my lower back and that I had vertebrae pinching a nerve. My chiropractor didn’t say that outright, but he was clearly concerned about it. But by the time he left on his vacation he was pretty sure I was on the right track and just needed to heal. And so far it appears that he was right. I may still spend the $35 on another treatment sometime in the near future, just to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be though.

I’m used to getting little kinks in my back that need a chiropractic treatment. Dr. Kuch has done a wonderful job with those. This time, however, has been quite a bit more nasty. It’s taken a lot of treatments and a lot of time to heal up. I hope I never actually injure my back like that again. But he has certainly gotten me through it once again.

Now I just need to rest and recover.